Isobel Addison’s diary November – December 1932

Tuesday, 1st November, 1932

Chris started enlarging the garage.

Wednesday, 2nd November, 1932

Wilfred drove Brigit and me to St. Anne’s for 8 o’clock Eucharist –  All Saints Day.  Kate had bad toothache in the evening.

Thursday, 3rd November, 1932

Pa went to town by the 9.56 and returned by the 5.4.  Chris and Brigit went to Wycombe in the morning. Chris was rather seedy in the afternoon.

Friday, 4th November, 1932

Kate went to Amersham to Mr. Wege and had her tooth out.  Chris drove Pa and me to Swindon for Lansbury meeting,  picked up Michael at Oxford on the way.  Lansbury joined us at tea at Mrs. Beck’s.  We got home just before one having dropped Mike at Balliol about 11.45.

Saturday, 5th November, 1932

Isobel and Nick came down at 5 p.m.  Kate very busy with bulb planting.

Sunday, 6th November, 1932

Wilfred took me to St. Anne’s at 8.  Very pleasant day.  Kate planted daffodil bulbs.

Monday, 7th November, 1932

Isobel and Nick left by the 7 .50.  A most lovely day. Bright sun and summery blue sky. Pa and I worked in the hen run most of the morning.  Brigit got dinner.  She and I went and had a haircut in the evening and sent a parcel to Mike.  I washed my hair tonight.  Mrs. Spinney called in the afternoon.

Tuesday, 8th November, 1932

I went early to the hens and Brigit got breakfast. Very busy morning.  Welwyn called for eggs.  Young Spinney from next door called.

Wednesday, 9th November, 1932

Kate went to the dentist and after lunch went up to town to stay till Monday. Daddy went to town by the 10.56 and returned by the 5.4.

Thursday, 10th November, 1932

Daddy, Chris and Brigit all went to town.  He came home at 3.30 and they by the 6.27.

Friday, 11th November, 1932

Pa went to town to a meeting at the H of Commons this afternoon and returned at  8.30.  Isobel got home at 10.30.

Sunday, 13th November, 1932

Didn’t go to church because I really can’t bear Armistice Sunday!

Monday, 14th November, 1932

Isobel went by the 7.50.  Chris and Brigit  left about 10.15 for Devon.  Pa and I had a busy morning in the hen run. Sent Mrs. Willmott’s apples to her.

Tuesday, 15th November, 1932

Kate returned about 6.30 from town.

Wednesday, 16th November, 1932

Pa went to town by the 10.14.  Kate busy arranging apples for show. Pa and I went to supper at Prestwood –     met Fred and Annie.

Thursday, 17th November, 1932

Kate and Pa took apples to Aylesbury Show and went again in the afternoon. Pa got 2 first prizes and a second.  Prestwood came to tea here – Pa and Fred had some chess.

Friday, 18th November, 1932

Got up at 6.  Kate went to the dentist’s.  Pa and I emptied all the new sacks of corn   and mash.  He went to Swindon in the afternoon by way of Reading and stayed night at the Beck’s .  Chris and Brigit came home at 6.30.

Saturday, 19th November, 1932

Wilfred met Pa at Reading.   Kate went to town by the 9.56.  Isobel got home at 3.30.

Sunday, 20th November, 1932

Wilfred took Brigit and me to St. Anne’s at 8.  Pa and I went in to see the Spinney’s in the morning.  Brigit cooked dinner.  Michael lunched with the Shilbeck’s Pa fetched him home about 6 and Chris and Kate took him back to Oxford in the car

Monday, 21st November, 1932

Isobel went by the 8.20.   Chris and Brigit went up to town and she went on to Sevenoaks for a few nights.  Kate went up by the 1.5 to answer an advertisement re dancing. Chris got home about 2.15.

Tuesday, 22nd November, 1932

Chris went to town by the  9.1 and went to spend night at Sevenoaks.  Pa left for town at 11.30 and returned by the 3.25.  Kate stayed in town.

Wednesday, 23rd November, 1932

Pa went to town by the 9.1 and he and Chris got home at 2.15. Kate arrived at 3.30.  Pa and Chris went to Salisbury for Pa to speak at a  Labour meeting and got home soon after 12.  Isobel came down by the 6.27 for the night.

Thursday, 24th November,1932

Isobel went up by the 7.50 and Chris by the 10.14 to town.  Pa, Kate and I spent a good deal of the day “attending” to George and Croy!   Pa started this evening putting shelves in the larder, Chris came home at 8.30.

Friday, 25th November, 1932

Chris went up to town by car. In the evening Pa went to Oxford to speak at the University Labour club and got home about 11.30.  Isobel came home by the 9.26.  Chris got home about 7.30.  He and Kate and I had wireless bagatelle.

Saturday, 27th November, 1932

Rather late getting up but Kate came down at once and got breakfast while I did the hens.   May and Willie came to tea.  Mrs. Willmott came in for a short time just before supper.

Sunday, 27th November, 1932

No church and didn’t get up till 8.15.  Kate again came and got breakfast while I did hens.  Kate and Isobel went up to town by the last train tonight.

Monday, 28th November, 1932

Rather late getting up.  Chris went to fetch Nobby Clarke and brought him here to work with Pa and took him back in the evening.

Tuesday, 29th November, 1932

Chris went to town by the 10.14.  Pa and Wilfred began pegging rows for the new cordons.  G. Spinney came and brought my two hovers.  Chris got home about 7.30.   I made my record cards for December trapping.  Chris wrote letters and we all three played Bagatelle.

Wednesday, 30th November, 1932

Pa went off by the 9.1 and Chris by the 9.55.  A perfectly horrible day, rain, wind and mud.    Pa went on to Swindon from town and he and Chris both arrived back at 6.30.  Wrote to Edith Addison and did some of my own neglected sewing.

Thursday, 1st December, 1932

Pa went to town by the 9.56.  Chris drove me to Swindon for the Lab. Party bazaar.  We met Mikey in Oxford on the way back, stopped and had tea with him.  Pa went to Swindon by train and came back with us.  Had supper,cleaned eggs and did a lot of other odd jobs.

Friday, 2nd December, 1932

Chris went to town by the 9 train and Pa by the 1.5. They both came back with Brigit by the 6.27. A beastly wet day.  Had a lot of work in the hen houses.  New food came and I got it all put safely away from the rats and filled all the hoppers. Wrote to Michael and we played bridge after supper.  Mikey rang up about 11.

Saturday, 3rd December, 1932

Chris drove Pa, Brigit and me up to town.  We all lunched at Marylebone.  Got home again, bringing Kate by 5.30. Chris then went to fetch Mikey from Oxford and they arrived here about 8.30.

Sunday, 4th December, 1932

Michael went to St. Anne’s, also Gladys.  After tea Mikey and I went to see the aunts at Prestwood.

Monday,5th December,1932

Kate went to town by the 10.56.  Chris and Brigit took Mikey to Oxford for his exam and Pa went to town at 1.5.  They all returned about 6.45.   Mikey and I went in to the Spinneys after supper.

Tuesday, 6th December, 1932

A lovely sunny day.  Chris and Brigit took apples to Harrods and went to W? to supper, returned about 12.  Very frosty night.

Wednesday, 7th December, 1932

Pa went to town by the 9 a.m.  Kate got home at 11.15 and she, Brigit and Chris drove with Michael to Oxford for his exam.  They went on to a tea dance at Abingdon and fetched Mike after it and got home at 9.15.  Pa got home at 3.30.  A lovely sunny day, very cold and frosty at night.  I wrote to Edith Addison and Annie.  Great day for eggs 101!

Thursday, 8th December, 1932

Another lovely day, frosty and sunny.  Chris, Brigit and Kate went to Wycombe in the morning.  Michael worked most of the day.  Wrote to May.  Young Spinney came in after supper.  We indulged in meringues etc, for tea as it was Chris’s birthday!

Friday, 9th December, 1932

Bitterly cold, a nasty black cold with a vile wind.  I kept Kate in bed as her cough is so bad.  Wilfred took some evergreens etc., to Chesham for the Labour bazaar tomorrow and went to fetch Mike from Oxford.   Chris was in town and bought Isobel and Nick back with him by car.

Saturday, 10th December, 1932

Kate still in bed.  Daddy and Isobel went to the Chesham bazaar and Pa took my place as Chairman as I have lost my voice for the moment.

Sunday, 11th December, 1932

Mike and I tried to get to church at 8 but the car wouldn’t start.  He tried again for 11 and the car stuck again!

Monday, 12th December, 1932

Wilfred took Michael to Oxford for the last of his exams. He came home by bus and we met him at Wycombe.

Sunday, 18th December, 1932

Mike, Brigit and I went to St. Anne’s at 8, also Wilfred.

Monday, 19th December, 1932

(crossed out) Wilfred drove Michael to Oxford for the last of his exams.  He came back by bus to Wycombe where we met him at 1.30.  Nick and Isobel went by the 10.56 to town.

Wednesday, 21st December, 1932

Pa went to town by the 9.1.  We expected Kate and Isobel and Nick for lunch but no-one came!  Chris and Mike did a lot of shopping in Wycombe.  Pa got home at 4.30.   Mr. Langman came re apple trees at 5.30.  Nick and Isobel came home on the 6.27.

Thursday, 22nd December, 1932

(crossed out) Pa went to town early and Mike came by a late train to see Louis ?   Kate went ? in the afternoon