Isobel Addison’s diary July 1919

Tuesday,1st July, 1919

Sonnie better but he stayed in bed all morning, was very sweet.   Michael played with him a good deal during the day.CA was late again tonight. Sonnie came down to the drawing room in the afternoon and went to bed again before supper.  Isobel and I went up to town by the 4.6 train from Harrow to see Mr. Inman about her eyes.  Caught the 6.30 home.

Wednesday, 2nd July, 1919

Started gathering gooseberries today – all hands to the plough.  Got 28 bottles filled and sterilised.  Took the last off at 11 pm.  CA stayed in town tonight.  Sonnie was very asthmatic again during the night and doesn’t look at all well.  He came downstairs during the afternoon.

Thursday, 3rd July, 1919

Miss Walker and I and Gurney and Stanley gathered strawberries – 9-lbs – in all and I made 18 lbs of strawberry jam.  CA got home tonight by the 8.6

Friday, 4th July, 1919

Went down in the car with Daddy to the station, did some shopping and went in to see Mrs. Hilton who was busy papering her own dining room – Gurney met Miss White and called for me.  Spent the rest of the morning titivating my old black frock to wear at the Downing Street reception tonight.  Did my bills and letters with Molly.  She went up by the 3.42 and the car fetched Isobel home, it was too wet for her games.  Daddy was up in Sheffield speaking for the Victory Loan.  He got back at 8.0 and we left by the 9.49 for town, just as we were feeling ready for bed, and I am afraid my black frock was a bit ‘out of it’, rather on the dowdy side but Oh Lud! I’m thankful it wasn’t like the others there.  What a crowd of vulgarly dressed or rather underdressed women – naked bosoms and backs and plastered all over with jewels.  It really made one feel disgusted.  Lady M……….particularly made me feel physically sick.  We left about  twenty to twelve and the Hiltons who had been at a theatre drove home with  us and we got in at one o’clock.

Downing Street Party

Strolling last night into the reception rooms at 10 Downing St, I at first feared I had inadvertently strayed into the premises of a Pork Butcher “what” thought I, “Is it after all Christmas time?” for the pig flesh was gaily decorated with a thousand twinkling lights.  Gradually however I realised my mistake.  What I had imagined to be slabs of good solid pork, turned out to be nothing less than the bejewelled bosoms and arms and backs of the wives of cabinet ministers and their secretaries.  Emancipation of Women! – are they emancipating from their clothes? and how much further will they emancipate?  Tremblingly, for fear of what might eventuate, I advanced into the rooms.  On all sides I was surrounded by dazzling jewels and heaving flesh.  Struggling to hide my blushes I gradually summoned up courage to look around in search of familiar faces.  Here in pale green, her fair hair carefully waved was Lady H……g…..d, her complexion so cleverly made up that it was almost impossible to tell that it was not real.  She was of the “porker” kind, for although not thin, she was of a slight build, but turning from her, my gaze fell upon what was surely the prize pig – a large lady the sleeves of whose dress consisted of a row of black beads whose flesh literally lapped over the scanty,close fitting black of what there was of bodice to her gown.  Standing by herself a little further on there was one whose form appeared to have been poured ino her frock as jelly into a mould.  She was encased in mauve and gold brocade and stood rooted to one spot, as if the jelly, not yet set, might pour out were she to move.  I felt really concerned for this lady, for from her position, with arms hung stiffly out from her sides, and feet planted squarely on the floor, she seemed as though she had been set there by her owner and could not move till he came to remove her.  He evidently came, for later in the evening she had disappeared and on examining the spot where she stood I could find no traces of a catastrophe.  Near the buffet I came upon Lady M….d in conversation with the dignified but modest Minister of Health.  So far as actual expanse went I think hers reached the highest standard.  She had exposed to the public view at least two square feet of solid bare flesh back and front, and not only did she expose it, but she gently and firmly pummelled it with her doubled fist, while Sir A stood by, smiling in proud ownership and lightly adjusted the diamond pendant on his lady’s plump neck.  Beside them with eyes bent on the ground and a blush of shame mantling her cheek, was the wife of the Minister of Health, but whether the blush was on account of her own dowdiness or Lady M…..d’s undress it was difficult to say.  For this lady was undoubtedly one of the dowdiest in the room.  Her dress of black figured crepe de chine was obviously in the style of two years ago.  In fact I myself saw the model in Messrs. Fenwick’s ready to wear Establishment in 1917 when it was priced at 4 ½ guineas.  High to the neck behind, very slightly open in front, it had received the addition of a point lace collar, while with it Mrs. A…..n wore a long string of paltry little pearls and a single diamond brooch.  My nostrils and not my eyes were next attracted, and turning to find the cause I was confronted by Mrs. W…n.  C…..ll.  Her tall willowy form, some few parts of which were slightly hidden by a light material bent to shake hands with  an aquaintance whose pale face revealed that she, as well as I, was nearly fainting from the overpowering scent which emanated from the wife of the Secretary for War.  He stood near, damp and somewhat perspiring and looking as if he had dined well, and he like Sir H….d M….d had an air of proud ownership as his wife gushed and breathed over her unfortunate and fainting aquaintance.  Later I saw him smiling indulgently as Mrs. W…..lA….., who dressed in a string of enormous pearls, a diamond ornament as large as my hand, and a little filmy black material, was conjuring him, with uplifted finger and roguish laugh to “be a good boy”.  I had a few moments conversation with Mr. B…….s, newly home from Paris, full of the implacable hatred of the French for Germany and of the fine words but feebleness as a reed to lean upon of the President of the United States.  Seated near us I perceived the first and only lady after my own heart – a gentle, kindly-faced woman, dressed becomingly in black, with a small square opening at the neck.  Her pure white hair was drawn loosely back from her forehead and she was partaking with evident enjoyment of a strawberry ice. This I afterwards discovered was Mrs. B……s, and I much  regretted that I had not had the pleasure of being introduced to her.

There were many more, the oldest and stoutest being usually the most gaudily and least decently clad.  There were a few younger women whom one could look at with pleasure as being gracefully gowned, but they were unfortunately rather lost in the crowd of heaving bosoms and shoulders that seemed to close one in as mountains an inland lake.

Wonderingly I came away.  These underdressed and over bejewelled women were the wives of the men who are supposed to be leading and governing the country at a time of unparalled stress and crisis.  Many of them, judging by overheard scraps of conversation, appeared to imagine themselves deeply interested in such things as housing, infant welfare and other wrongs that are crying out to be righted.  Is it possible that women so utterly devoid of the sense of decency and so barbariously decorated with jewels can have their hearts sincerely in any serious subject of civilisation.

– So – much nakedness – so many jewels – were the jewels to cover up the nakednss or was the nakedness necessary to show up the jewels?  And are all the members of the government very wealthy people?  Otherwise how do their wives posess such magnificent and costly jewels?  Are they paid for out of “Party Funds”?     !!

Saturday, 5th July, 1919

A very wet morning.  Isobel started on her bicycle to go to Harrow to play rounders, but came back before she got to Pinner,soaking wet and very grumpy, poor darling!  I packed a box of cherries for Katie and wrote her a letter and Sonnie went down to post it for me early .  He spent most of the morning tidying his “lab” and I washed his test tubes and other things.  Miss Walker and I did a great tidying up again after lunch.  We seem to be always having great tidyings up!  All to no purpose!   After tea we drove down in the car to meet Miriam Anderson who came to spend till Monday. Also took a basket of cherries to Mrs. Coates and gave old Mrs. Coates a lift to her rooms in Sandy Lodge Way.  After everyone but Pa had gone to bed I composed and scribbled down an account of last night’s reception for Katie’s edification.

Sunday,6th July, 1919

Miss Walker left before 8 to go to the Thanksgiving service at St. Paul’s.  We gave her our tickets as we were not very keen to go.  I got all my jobs done early and Miriam, Daddy, Isobel and Michael and I all went down to the Presbyterian church.  Sonnie was suffering  from an overdose of cherries so stayed at home.  He still looks very seedy.  After dinner I wrote to Katie and copied out my story of Friday night’s reception for her.  Daddy spent all afternoon pruning fruit trees and Isobel and I went and helped by gathering up all the pieces.  Miss Walker got home about 8.30 having enjoyed her day very much.  It has been a nice day, cool and grey but no rain and quite warm for a time in the afternoon.

Monday, 7th July, 1919

Sonnie was very asthmatic again during the night so I didn’t send him to school again in the morning.  Isobel went off as normal and I got all my beastly laundry done.  A damp, cold day.   Lit the drawing room fire early.   We got one white currants picked and I made 9-lbs of jelly before lunch.  Sonnie went off in the car to Harrow and took the train from there to Finchley Row to go to Mrs. Sutcliffe.  He looked seedy but it seemed better to send him as the damp and trees here are so bad for his asthma. Miriam left by the 5.29.  Isobel didn’t arrive till nearly 6 on a borrowed bicycle as she had missed the 5.9 – she had stayed for the match which she missed on Friday.  Miss Walker and I amused ourselves and satisfied the hens by chipping up some old crockery for grit!  CA didn’t get home till after 11.

Tuesday, 8th July, 1919

Stanley and Gurney gathered strawberries this morning and I tagged  them and made 22-lbs of strawberry and gooseberry jam.  Finished it off after lunch and changed my dress  and went to town to see Mr Inman about my eyes.  He kept me rather a long time – mostly talking and was rather fun – I quite enjoyed it!  Caught the 6 o’clock from Baker Street and walked up home.CA got home at 10.30 having driven all the way out.

Wednesday, 9th July, 1919

I went up to town with CA by the 9.56 and we took Michael with us.  Drove to Raynes & Keeler for my new glasses and then CA went on and Mikey and I did some shopping and walked back to Baker Street for the 12.5.  After dinner I packed up a few sweets and sent them to Sonnie and also a parcel to take to Rugby on Saturday for Katie.  Wrote to Katie and Sonnie and several other letters which took me till teatime.   CA stayed in town tonight.  It has been a lovely day, sunny and warm, real summer again.

Thursday, 10th July, 1919

The children went to Harrow and directly after breakfast I put on my white currants to boil.  Miss Walker and I fed the hens and I spent the rest of the morning making my white currant jelly and got another 12 lbs.  Stanley gathered all the black currants, Miss Walker picked them and I helped to finish them in the afternoon.  Made 13-lbs of  jam.  Wrote to Katie, Michael and Jessie drove to Harrow to fetch Isobel.  Elsie is out today at the Girls Friendly outing to Windsor.  After tea we fed the hens and I wrote to Miss Brinton (?) and tried to fill up this old diary which |I have somewhat neglected of late . Another lovely day, warm and sunny.

Friday, 11th July, 1919

Miss White came down as usual.  Miss Walker went to town by the 9.13 to shop and got back about 7.30.  It was a very hot day.  I gathered a lot of raspberries in the morning and Stanley gathered currents.  Miss White left by the 2.28 and I sat picking currants and then filled and sterilized 6 bottles of raspberries and currants.  The children were late home and we didn’t get the tea till after 5.30.  I then put Michael to bed and did Isobel’s hair and made 5 ½-lbs  of white currant jelly, all before supper.  CA came by the 7.30 and we had a nice evening.

Saturday, 12th July, 1919

A sad disappointment to find it pouring with rain this morning.  I got up at 7 and Christopher and I left for Rugby by the 9.7.  Got a taxi at the station and went to the Laurels.  Talked to Miss Dewar and Miss Turner a bit and then Kate came and when she was ready we went out and walked through some fields to Bilton Church.  Looked over the church and then went and sat in the fields and ate our lunch.  It was fine when we got to Rugby and we spread our macs on the ground and were quite dry.  Had an awfully jolly time after lunch just lying in the fields jawing    About 3.30 we walked into Rugby and had a very dull tea at the George Hotel and then went to the station to get a timetable.  After that we walked back and sat on a seat for a bit and then left Kate at school a little before 7,  We were meaning to catch the 7.23 but got to the station in time for the 7.5 and arrived home an hour and a half earlier than they expected us.  Walked up and had supper and sat by the fire for a bit and went to bed.

Sunday, 13th July, 1919

Miss Walker went to church early and Christopher, Isobel and I went to the Presbyterian Church at 11.  After dinner I wrote a long letter to Katie.  John Hilton and Robert Coates came up and spent the afternoon and John stayed to tea.

Monday, 14th July, 1919

Christopher left by the 8.13, a little later this week as school doesn’t begin until 9 .20 owing to exams.  I got Mrs Letchford’s laundry ready and Isobel and Michael went off  to Harrow.  Then I did the other laundry and fed the hens.  CA left by the 9.56.  I next started clearing out old clothes and packed up four parcels  and  wrote to Miss Nevill and Edith Addison.  After dinner wrote to Kate and Miss Kelly and went to Harrow to tea with Miss Huskisson.  Got home about quarter to 7, wrote some letters after supper.  CA didn’t get home till 12.30.  I had a bath and he made some delicious tea and we jawed and went to sleep.

Tuesday, 15th July, 1919

Sent off my parcels today.  Gathered raspberries and made 9-lbs of jam before lunch.  Mrs Coates came up and we gathered a lot of flowers for the women coming down from Poplar today.  After lunch I wrote no less than 6 letters and felt very virtuous indeed!  Isobel got home at the usual time and after tea she and Michael played in the garden and I read the papers and gathered a lot of green stuff for the rabbits .  Daddy got home about10.30, drove out.

Wednesday, 16th July, 1919

Isobel went to school in the car and CA by the 9.56 and Gurney then took the car to the garage to have the oil leakage attended to.  Miss Walker and I did a lot of gardening in the erockery in the evening.  Daddy stayed in  town for the night.

Thursday, 17th July, 1919

Isobel went by the 8.27 train as the car wasn’t back.  I made Katie’s room very gay with flowers and did some tidying up.  The car got back in time to go and fetch Isobel from school.  Daddie got home a little earlier, but I forgot when exactly as I am writing this up somewhat late in the day!   Miss Walker went to Harrow and took a note to Mrs. Andrews to explain that we could take her and Leila to the Health Ministry to see the procession on Saturday.

Friday, 18th July, 1919

Isobel went off to school in the car and I fed my hens and made all my arrangements . Daddie left for the 9.56 and when Gurney got back he and Michael and I started at once for Rugby.  Mrs. Coates came up for a few moments before we left.  We got to Rugby at about a quarter to 2 having stopped 10 minutes outside Dunchurch for me to tidy my hair!  We took just 3 hours and a quarter altogether.  Saw Miss Dewar and Miss Turner and got Kate and left for Dunchurch where we had a cup of tea and a wash.  Left at quarter past 3 and got here at 13 minutes past six – a very good run.  Isobel had only just got home having missed her train and shared Alison’s bike to Pinner and then walked.  Christopher arrived just after us and Daddie came by the 7.30. Kate was in great form and awfully glad to be home.  We had supper and strolled in the garden and talked and sat by the fire and came to bed between 10 and 11.

Saturday, 19th July, 1919

Got up at about 6 and made tea and took it round.  Katie came and had hers with us.  Isobel got up quickly but Daddy and Christopher gave us some trouble.  The car went for Alison and Christine and took them to the station where we met them and all went up to town by the 8.27.  The Hiltons and the Coates came with us.  Daddy drove from Baker Street with Isobel and Alison, Roger, Ross, Ruth, the two Michaels and the rest of us walked over and had a great squeeze through the crowd at the Admiralty Arch!  The procession was magnificent and the crowds were wonderful and everybody at the Ministry was very charming and we all enjoyed it.   It began to rain just as the crowds closed in behind the tail of the  procession and Mrs. Coates and I took Katie, Isobel, Alison, Ross, Roger and the two Michaels in the car to Marylebone and caught the 3.20 home.  The others didn’t arrive till 5.  Dr. Macphail came a few minutes after them.  We had tea and Daddy went to meet Mr. Halliday who arrived  about 6.45 and came to spend the weekend with us as he is preaching for Mr. Coates tomorrow.  About 10.30 we took the children along the road and into Mr. Dove’s fields to see what we could of fireworks and bonfires but we couldn’t see much because of the rain and mist.  Got in about 11.30 and CA and Dr. Macphail played chess, the kiddies and I went to bed,

Sunday, 20th July, 1919

A very wet dull day it poured nearly all day.  Had breakfast by 9, fed hens.  Daddy drove Mr. Halliday to church and went on to the station with Michael to find out about trains to Rugby.  Dr. Macphail,Kate and I went to church and Daddy and Michael  followed us a little late.  All drove back in the car dropping Mr. Coates by the way.  After dinner the children had the gramophone in the nursery and I wrote some letters and then went for a walk in the Oxhey woods with Kate.    When we got in we packed her bag and had tea and she and Daddy left for Rugby by the 5.45. from here.  He got back about 11.  Dr. Macphail and I went to church and had a very nice sermon from Mr.Halliday but I’d rather hear Mr.Coates any day!  Got home about 8 and had supper .  Sat and read and talked in the drawing room.  When Daddy got in I made some more tea and then came to bed.

Monday, 21st July, 1919

Sonnie went off gaily by the 7.59 and Isobel and Dr.Macphail in the car at 8.30.  Daddy and Mr. Halliday had breakfast at 8.30 and left by the 9.56.  I got all my laundry done and fed the hens by 9 and after they had gone put away all the clean things and spent some time in the garden.  Gurney drove the car to the Vauxhall works at Luton to get some repairs done .  I went up to town by the 3.40, met Sonnie at Finchley Road and took him to get some clothes and did some other shopping.  I didn’t get home until a quarter to 8 and was rather tired .  Daddy was very late – drove out getting here about 12.30.  Isobel decided at supper to start being perfect for a week and began at once at 8.15 p.m. and was exceedingly sweet and nice.  Long may it  last.

Tuesday 22nd July, 1919

Miss Walker and I spent the morning gathering raspberries in the pouring rain – we got 9 ½ -lbs and I made 17-lbs jam.  It was done by dinner time and I covered it after dinner.  Tidied myself and met Isobel at Harrow and took her to town to Mr. McKechnie.  Got my one pair of new glasses.  Caught the 5.3 home – very tired. Had supper and read and slept till Daddy got home soon after 12.30.

Wednesday, 23rd July,1919

Isobel went by the 8.27.  Her “perfection week” is going well – she is really being very good indeed.  Miss Walker and I had a great clearance in the nursery and tidied all the books and toys and put out a good deal of rubbish.  After dinner wrote to Kate and did several other odd jobs.  Isobel got home by the 4.16 from Harrow and we had tea and spent the evening in the garden.  Daddy telephoned that he wouldn’t come home tonight and we went up to bed about 10.  I had a nice hot bath and was ready for sleeping by 11 – quite early for once.

Thursday, 24th July, 1919

Isobel went by the 8.27.  I planted a lot of Iceland Poppy seeds in the garden in various places.  Dr. Hilton came in for a few minutes gossip on the “political situation”!  I dressed myself in my best and after lunch caught the 2.12  train to town.  Daddy met me at Marylebone and we drove to U.C.S. for the prize-giving  It was rather a dull show as these shows usually are .  But I met Mrs. Sutcliffe and  the Shilbechs which relieved  matters!  Sonnie looked very nice in his blue serge suit and his first stiff collar!   We had a little tea at the school and then went to Stewarts’ for some  more and gave Sonnie an ice.  Drove to Marylebone and  caught the 6 o’clock train.  Gurney met us in the pony trap.  We pottered about the garden and dug up some of our potatoes and then sat by the fire and read till we came to bed.

Friday, 25th July, 1919

Isobel and I were down for breakfast by a quarter to 8 – great  record!  She went by the 8.27.  I fed the hens and got my grocery and other shopping list ready. Daddy went down for the 9.56 and Michael and Christopher with him and met Miss White.  I unpacked and put away all Christopher’s clothes and tidied his drawers and cupboard and cleaned his white shoes.  Did my bills and things with Miss White, wrote to Katie and got a bunch of lovely ramblers for Miss White to take home.  She went by the 2.28.  Dr. Macphail and Daddy arrived about 3 and Mrs. Coates came up for a few minutes.  Then Sonnie and I bicycled to Harrow to see Mrs. Letchford and to leave  a message at the Andrews about Leila coming on Sunday.  Got home rather tired and hot at 5.30.  Had tea and then played cricket on the lawn until supper time.  After supper fed rabbits, played scamble patience and came to bed about 12 and had a hot bath leaving my men to play chess as  usual.

Saturday, 26th July, 1919

A lovely morning, hot and sunny.  Isobel and Michael drove to Pinner in the trap to ask Alison to bring home Isobel’s gym shoes from school.  Fed my hens and then went to gather raspberries for dinner.  Miss Walker came to help me and we got a big basin full.  I then wrote to Katie and went down on my bike to post it. Arranged today for Mr. And Mrs.Gurney to come to Hogsthorpe with us and wired Mabel to that effect.  Dr. Macphail and CA played croquet in the morning and then I had a game of golf croquet with them. After lunch they and I and Christopher had some cricket.  Then they played chess making up for their lost time last weekend!  We had tea at a quarter past four and Dr. Macphail left for the 5.3 train.  Christopher and I marked the tennis lawn with rather wobbly lines before tea and after tea had a couple of games.  It got quite cold at supper time so we had a fire and sat reading and had a little music till  bedtime.

Sunday, 27th July,1919

Had breakfast by 9 having made some beds and tidied my room.  Took CA his in bed, fed hens and got ready for church.  Christopher, Isobel and Michael went and dear little Michael  behaved  beautifully as usual.  After lunch I wrote to Kate and then read and slept in the hammock. Leila Andrews came to play with Isobel and Christopher and Michael amused each other. After tea I played some tennis with them and Leila left before7.  Collected a few more things for packing . Spent some time cutting off dead roses.  Lit the drawing room fire and sat reading.  CA has been busy preparing a speech for a dinner tomorrow given him by the Coalition Liberals at the National Liberal Club.  Came to bed fairly early.  Had a hot bath and was actually ready to sleep by 11.30!  Quite early!

Monday, 28th July, 1919

Isobel went by the 8.27.  I got all the laundry done early.  Geoffrey Wallis came down to spend the day with Sonnie .  CA left by the 9.56 and then Gurney and the boys went by train to Luton to fetch the car from the Vauxhall works.  I tidied myself and we had lunch early and I went by the 1.22 to Harrow to watch the Drill competition at the Girls County School.  It was very interesting.  I left about 5 and Isobel and I caught the 5.9 home.  Dr.Hilton met us on the hill and turned round and gave us a lift in his car.  The boys didn’t get home from Luton till just after 7.  We had supper early and Geoffrey Wallis left by the 9.3.  Nurse Bella arrived about 6 looking just as she always does- not a day older and full of spirits and energy.  Michael was very pleased to see her.  She and I sat up for CA who didn’t get home till about 12 or after.  We had tea and jawed by the drawing room fire.

Tuesday, 29th July, 1919

Isobel and I went down to the station early and she got the 8. 27 to Harrow, and I went by the 8.30 to Aylesbury to meet Katie.  A bitterly cold day.  I had to wait 20 minutes for her and we caught the 10.9 to Northwood and arrived at 11.4.  Sonnie and Michael met us in the car and we drove up home in great glee.  Katie went to Harrow to fetch Isobel home and to see some of her old friends at school.  I unpacked her box and packed most of my own and all Isobel’s  and Michael’s things for  Hogsthorpe.  After dinner I sorted Katie’s clothes and then she and I tidied ourselves and went to Harrow by the 3.40 to look at the drill competition again.  Stayed for tea and had some nice chats with the mistresses and Miss Husskisson.  Got home about 6.30.  Tidied ourselves again, had supper and went down to the Presbyterian Church where CA was un-veiling a tablet which had been put in the porch to commemorate the fact that the church was used as a hospital during the war.  A very nice service and coffee afterwards in the  lecture room.  Got home about quarter past nine and had some tea and sat by the drawing room and came to bed in fairly good time.

Wednesday, 30th July, 1919

The children and I all drove to Harrow with Isobel: left her at school and Christopher, Kate and I went on by train to town.  Met Geoffrey Wallis at Baker Street and walked to Daniel Neal’s to get Christopher some new shoes.  He and Geoffrey then went off by themselves to the Tower and Kate and I walked up Baker Street to Dubois where we bought some sweets and then went and met CA who came up from Northwood by the 9.56.  Drove down Baker Street with him and then went to Mr.McKechnie’s and on to Oxford St .Got my new reading glasses and had lunch at Marshall’s and did a good deal more shopping.  Ices at Fullers then taxi to Marylebone  for the 3.20.  Picked up Dorothy and Marjorie Spier at Harrow and brought them home.  Found Archie Jennings had been here since 12 having come from Knebworth on his motorbike.  We had tea and he stayed till about 7.  We then had supper and during supper had the great excitement R34, the airship which made the Atlantic flight, pass over our garden.  Fetched Michael down from his bed to see it, much to his joy.  After supper I played tennis with Katie , Dorothy and Christopher and Dorothy and Marjorie left for the 8.47.  Pottered around and came to bed about 10.15.  Daddy stayed in town tonight as he was late and Katie slept in his bed.  Dear little Isobel brought home a very good report.

Thursday, 31st July, 1919

Had breakfast at 8.30 and fed hens and rabbits and did a lot of telephoning and tidying up.  Bella and the children went in the car to Northwood to do my shopping.  Miss Walker did a lot of odd washing, gloves etc., and I collected clothes.  Geoffrey Wallis came to spend the day with Christopher.  Packed the 12 chicks in a hamper and sent Miss Walker and them off in the car to Watford  where she got a train to Northampton.  After dinner got all Sonnie’s clothes collected and ready for packing and tidied up my writing desk.  Had tea in the garden and played three sets of tennis with Katie and the boys between  tea and supper.  Geoffrey left after supper and Daddy got home about 9 and had bread and milk and then some tea out in the garden.  It has been a lovely day, hot and sunny,